Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Design Team Wednesday - Snowball of Winter Fun! Acrylic Album

Snowball of Fun

Acrylic Album   by: Sue Woolard

 Greetings from Texas! My family is on an adventure for several months in Texas for my husbands job, and I am missing my scrapbook room in the worst way. Before we left, I dropped of this mini album project at Scrapdoodles, knowing that winter was on the way. So, while you are frozen in, check out this project online and stop by the store when VA unthaws. 

This mini album project features a 6x6 circle, Acrylic album by Clear Scraps and the Keepin' Cozy line from Echo Park. As with any project, creating an acrylic project has pro's and cons. One of the advantages can also be a disadvantage- the fact that you can see through to the other side.

The ability to see through the album makes it extremely cost effective when using double sided paper- it just involves a little more planning and "strategic adhesive targeting". Strong, liquid adhesives that dry clear are the best for acrylic, such as Helmar 450, Zip dry, etc. Upon cleaning off my scrap space, I re-discovered two classics- Stickles & Glossy accents. These were used on the snowflake stickers and pine cones. One of my favorite "go to" tools for cutting circles is the Curvy Cutter. It provides clean, crisp perfect circles with lots of size options. 
This Echo Park line reminds me of home. All the things that I remember as a child....snowball fights, sipping hot chocolate and snow. Cardinals remind me of my grandmother, so they hold a special place in my heart- I knew the cover would include this adorable cardinal perched on a stick.

I love the natural texture that the stick adds (and I love that it was conveniently located in my yard). Since this Navy paper is double sided, it creates a perfect background for the inside front cover, and I didn't need to add much to complete that side.

  
  In the photo, the swirls look like they are the background, but in reality, this is part of the acrylic album revealing the next page. The photo below shows what the page really consists of. It is so clear, you can see what my album was leaning against. 
Note- when you purchase an acrylic album, they generally come with a sheath on each side that you need to peel off, prior to creating.


How appropriate that "Keepin' Warm is part of this line as this Vortex??? thing is upon Virginia. (Hopefully, you are snuggly warm inside.)



The fact that the sides show through, allows one piece of paper to highlight more than one page and allows you to use a few or as many embellishments as you would like. This makes it inexpensive and quick to create, as long as you plan- prior to adhering.



Once you have planned out the pages and what will show through, this album is super quick to assemble and complete.




Children love to pick up this size album and look at pictures of themselves all bundled up. If you haven't tried an Acrylic album, they come in all shapes and sizes and are not as overwhelming as they can appear.


Hopefully you have enjoyed this winter mini as much as I enjoyed creating it for you. Stay tuned for more creations, as I filled my vehicle with scrap stuff before hitting the road. Stay tuned for exciting things on the blog as I am sure Cheryl will be "enabling", I mean posting new releases from CHA.

                                                                                ...Sue

Recipe: Clear Scraps 6x6 Circle album, Keepin' Cozy from Echo Park- Winter Wonderland, Snowflakes Falling, Snowy Day, Winter Swirls, Navy/Grey, Red/Ice, Journaling cards and stickers. Glossy accents, stickles, and sheer ribbon from my stash.

1 comment:

Beth Raust said...

Sue, this is wonderful- as always. I love the colors and the shape. What fun!

Beth Raust